Future of GM’s growing pool of mentors share valuable insight with our Leadership and Diverse Voices networks – and gain fresh perspectives in return.
We have a fantastic group of senior mentors – current ones here – and with new courses and networks coming online, it’s time to build up this key ingredient of the GM leadership landscape.
Will you join us?
We offer mentoring options from ad-hoc support to longer-term senior leadership courses, the chance to develop your own skills and/or support diverse talent, plus events where you can connect with other mentors, candidates, alumni and Future of GM leadership – why wouldn’t you get involved?
How Future of GM mentoring differs – and what you get out of it!
- you’re paired with someone from another organisation and often from another sector, based on their needs
- you work with them once a month or so throughout the 6- or 9-month course (you can keep on if you like!)
- we have mid- and senior-level courses, that can match with you or colleagues
- you get the same CEO-level leadership materials as your mentees, for your meetings and your own development
- We actively seek course candidates (mentees) and mentors from under-represented backgrounds
- We’re also exploring ad hoc mentoring as part of our new Diverse Voices network.
I’ve learned a huge amount in my time as a mentor, I’ve added some really great people to my network (and even recruited one or two!) and have enjoyed some of the most stimulating conversations about projects and ideas that I can remember.
David Lunts – Former housing & regeneration lead at Manchester City Council; co-founder, Future of London; current Chief Executive, Old Oak & Park Royal Development Corp.
Who the mentees are:
Recognising the contribution of our mentors
Future of GM Mentor awards, supported by Rider Levett Bucknall
To celebrate mentors’ contribution to our Leaders courses and candidates, we held Mentor Awards in 2021 in London with a GM category, and our own inaugural event in 2023, hosted by RLB. Candidates or alumni nominate their mentors based on factors like impact or support.
- 2021 Winner: Jane Healey Brown – Director, Town Planning, Arup
- 2023 Winner: Paul Richards – Chief Executive, Stockport Mayoral Development Corp.